Captain Cook Birthplace Museum
Discover why Captain James Cook is the world's most famous navigator with our exploration into his early life, seafaring career and legacy of his voyages.
The Captain Cook Birthplace Museum opened on the 28th October 1978 - the 250th anniversary of Cook's birth. It is housed in a purpose-built building close to the granite urn marking the site of Cook's birthplace cottage in Stewart Park, Marton, Middlesbrough.
The museum tells the story of one of the world's greatest navigators and mariners through themed display galleries housing original artefacts, exhibitions, associated activities and events and a lively education programme. There is full disabled access throughout and additional facilities such as the Discovery Room (education & activities), the Endeavour Room (meetings & events), the Resolution Resources Room (archive & research) complete with a gift/book shop and café.
|Open All Year|
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Nana Toms Cafe inside Museum serving speciality teas, coffees etc. and homemade sandwiches, cakes etc.
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 1 hour
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 90
- Min group size - 10
- Solo accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Discovery Room for educational purposes i.e. schools to be booked in advance.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Education Groups Min - Schools to be booked in advance.
Welcome to the Day Planner. Use this tool to organise and save your days out, print maps, and view journey details. Alternatively, choose from an exciting range of specially compiled itineraries.
To build your own Itinerary, click to add an item to your Day Planner basket.